Here’s The Most Poisonous & Deadly Plants For Dogs

As a general safety rule, you shouldn’t let your dogs eat plants at all, especially during regular walking sessions. Not all plants are poisonous to them; nor will all ingested poisonous plants kill them either. In most cases, poisonous plants will only prove fatal to dogs if they consume a large amount of it. Remember: if your dog becomes ill after consuming plant matter, consult a veterinarian as soon as possible.  Regardless of how poisonous a particular plant may be to your pup, it’s important to be aware of the deadliest ones. These are some of the most deadliest plants for dogs.

Castor Beans

castor bean leaf

Even the tiniest amount of a castor oil plant–such as a single seed–can kill dogs.



All parts of azaleas and rhododendrons will cause nausea, depression, difficulty breathing, and even coma. Azaleas can kill dogs if they eat a large quantity of them.


apricot tree

Apricot kernels contain cyanide, which can be fatal to dogs.



Daffodils can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and death.

Grapes & Grape Vines

grapes hanging from a grape vine

Grapes and raisins can cause serious kidney failure in dogs, which will result in death.

Wild Cherry Blossoms

cherry blossoms

Eating wild cherry twigs and/or leaves can be lethal to dogs.



Eating yew berries and/or foliage can kill dogs even without them showing signs of prior illness. 



Here’s a friendly holiday warning: keep mistletoe away from dogs. Mistletoe berries can wreck havoc on a dog’s stomach; just a few berries can kill puppies. 

Don’t Stress About It Too Much

Dogs will usually avoid poisonous plants by instinct; therefore you should not stress yourself about this too much. When walking and playing outside with them, just do your best to prevent them from eating plants, and they’ll be fine.